Moussaka ~ Aubergine and Chickpea Stew with Herby Rice
Gorgeous aubergine and chickpea stew called moussaka. Rich tomato sauce with soft aubergine and then a little of texture from the chickpeas. Lovely!
Middle Eastern food is a strong contender for one of my favourite cuisines. It has everything that I love, tapas style bowls of delicious vegetable dishes, incredible dips (creamy hummus and smoked pepper dip are always good) amazing pulse based dishes and of course big flatbreads to scoop with.
One of my favourites is a gorgeous aubergine and chickpea stew called maghmour or moussaka. The flavor is intensely rich tomatoes with soft aubergine and then a little of texture from the chickpeas. It always amazes me how simple ingredients can create such incredible flavours.
I think dishes like this are best eaten with lots of complimentary yet contrasting flavours, so creamy hummus, smoky red pepper dip, crunchy flatbreads and a big rice salad with generous amounts of fresh herbs. The recipe for my lovely herby rice is below and I’ve popped links in for my favorite dips.
My classic tahini dressing is the perfect topping for both the moussaka and my herby rice. I really hope you like my Middle Eastern feast!
Enjoy, love Niki xxx
Moussaka–Aubergine and Chickpea Stew with Herby Rice
For the moussaka
- 2 organic aubergines diced
- 5 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped finely
- 4 clove garlic sliced
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 5 large organic tomatoes–skinned and de-seeded or 1 tin
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 2 tbsp fresh mint–finely chopped
- 1 can organic cooked chickpeas–drained
For the rice
- 2 cups cooked rice–brown or white
- 2 big handfuls coriander
- Handful fresh mint
- Handful basil or parsley
- 8 cherry tomatoes chopped
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- Zest 1 lemon
- Juice I lemon
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 tbsp chilli flakes–optional
For the tahini dressing
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- Pepper dip
To make the moussaka
- Add the aubergines to a large baking tray and toss them in 2 tbsp of olive oil. Roast on for 30 minutes until browned.
- Add the remaining oil to a large pan and add in the onion, fry on a low to medium heat until soft and slightly browning. Add in the garlic and cook for a further few minutes.
- Next, add the tomatoes, tomato purée, paprika, aubergine & chickpeas. Cook to approx 20 minutes. Add water if needed. Finally, season with salt and the fresh mint.
To make the rice
- In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice with the herbs, onion, lemon, olive oil and seasonings.
To make the tahini dressing
- Add all the ingredients to a mini chopper or pestle and mortar and blitz until you get a paste.
- Add more water to get the deserved consistency.