This Kimchi Fried Rice Recipe Has Serious WOW Factor!
For a flavour packed, nutritious meal my kimchi fried rice will give you a full-on spicy health boost. It’s a quick and easy way of using up leftovers too!
My kimchi fried rice is a comforting bowl of spicy rice and veg and it packs a flavour and texture punch – soft fried rice, crispy stir-fried veg, tangy kimchi and topped with soft ‘omelette’. A delight.
It’s also a brilliant way of using up leftover rice and you can throw in any veg you have to hand.
Kimchi is powerful stuff, a slightly acquired taste, and delicious! It is fermented, so contains probiotics and good bacteria that support a good gut keeping our immune system in check. It is utterly delicious served as a condiment, in my kimchi fried rice recipe, in an omelette or added to a broth to give a savoury kick.
This is shop bought Kimchi – but I have a lovely recipe for cauliflower kimchi in my first book ‘Rebel Recipes’ – which uses a little hijiki seaweed instead of fish sauce to give the kimchi a taste of the sea.
I hope you love my kimchi fried rice recipe – it’s one of my go-to dishes when I need a spicy health boost.
Much love, Niki xxx
Kimchi Fried Rice
For the rice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic sliced
- 120 g green cabbage shredded
- 250 g cooked rice of choice
- 200 g kimchi
For the sauce
- 1 1/2 tbsp gochujang paste
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or use tamari for a GF version
- 2 tbsp rice wine
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame
- 125 ml water
- 1 tsp salt
For the chickpea tofu omelette
- 100 g gram flour
- 200 g silken tofu
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 200 ml water
To cook the rice
- First add the oil to a large frying pan with the onion. Fry the onion for 8-10 minutes on a low to medium heat until soft.
- Now add the garlic and cabbage. Fry for a further minute.
- Add the cooked rice and kimchi and stir to combine.
To make the sauce
- Add all the ingredients to a bowl and stir to combine.
To make the omelette
- Now add the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blitz to combine until you get a smooth batter.
To cook the omelette
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick frying pan then add 4 tbsp of the batter to the pan and smooth with a spoon to distribute towards the corners of the pan.
- Cook on a medium heat for approximately 2 minutes until there are bubbles in the chickpea omelette and you can lift the edges up easily.
- Flip it and cook on the other side for 1-2 minutes.
- Repeat with the remaining mix.
- Pour the sauce over the rice and toss to combine.
- Heat for 1-2 minutes.
- Roll the omelettes into tubes then cut into long strips.
- Top the rice with the omelettes.