The Ultimate Pumpkin Curry, with My Favourite Spices, Lentils & Tomatoes
My deliciously warming pumpkin curry recipe – simple to make and lightly spiced. One for the whole family. Serve with flatbreads for the ultimate comfort food.
I love seeing pumpkins everywhere at this time of year – their beautiful orange and golden shades matching the changing colour of the leaves.
There are so many pumpkin recipes at this time of year – baked, stuffed, soups, stews and curries. All perfect for chilly autumnal evenings.
My pumpkin curry has all my favourite Indian spices and red split lentils making it extra wholesome and cosy.
Add a little coconut milk or creamy yogurt to make it milder and more indulgent.
Swap the pumpkin for squash or sweet potato if you prefer, it’ll be just as good.
Serve with some flatbreads and pickles for a delicious, healthy and budget friendly meal.
Enjoy my ultimate pumpkin curry recipe, much love, Niki xxx
The Ultimate Pumpkin Curry
For the curry
- 2 tbsp veg oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 onion sliced into long strips
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 tsp ground fenugreek
- 3 garlic cloves grated
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 5 tomatoes roughly diced
- 2 tbsp tomato ketchup
- 200 g red split lentils rinsed
- 700 ml veg stock
- 1 medium pumpkin/squash peeled and chopped into cm (approx) cubes
- 1/2 can coconut milk or 4 tbsp coconut yogurt or Greek style yogurt
- 1 tsp garam masala
- Salt to taste
- Plant-based yogurt
To make the curry
- First, add the oil, mustard and cumin seeds to a frying pan. Allow then to sizzle to release their aromas.
- Now add the onion and remaining spices and fry for 8-10 minutes until tender.
- Add the garlic, salt and chilli and stir to combine and fry for a further minute.
- Add the chopped tomatoes and tomato ketchup, stir and simmer for 5-6 minutes until the tomatoes are soft.
- Now add the lentils, stock and chopped pumpkin and simmer covered for 20 minutes.
- Add additional water as needed.
- Finally, add the coconut milk/yogurt, season with salt and add garam masala
- Top the curry with yogurt and serve with flatbreads