Smoky Harissa Beans, Gooey 'Cheese' & Pesto in a Toastie, WOW!
The toastie of your dreams – a layer of fresh pesto, gooey, sticky homemade beans and melty vegan cheese. It’s the sort of quick-cook toastie you’ll want again and again.
I made this the other day and oh my goodness; it tastes incredible. Gooey, smoky homemade harissa baked beans, pesto and melty vegan cheese in a toastie!
Oh, my goodness – this combination is AMAZING!
You can use shop bought pesto, but the dish will be even more scrummy if you try it with my version here. The beans are smoky and delicious and are also perfect on toast.
Vegan cheese is definitely more melty than it used to be, I’d suggest Applewood Smoked, it has great flavour and melts really well.
Here’s the recipe! I hope you enjoy xxx.
Smoky Harissa Beans, Gooey Cheese & Pesto Toastie
For the beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large red onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic sliced
- 1 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 100 g cherry tomatoes sliced
- 1 tbsp sun dried tomato paste
- 1 tbsp rose harissa paste
- 100 ml water
- 250 g white beans drained
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 slices bread
- Drizzle olive oil or vegan butter
For the fillings
- 4 tbsp vegan pesto
- 4 tbsp grated vegan cheese or vegan mozzarella
To make the beans
- Add the oil and onion to a wide bottom pan and fry gently on a low heat for around 10 minutes until soft and browning. Add the garlic and spices and fry for 30 seconds more.
- Add the tomatoes, sun-dried tomato paste and harissa to the pan and cook for 5–10 minutes until the tomatoes have softened.
- Now add the beans and cook on a low heat for 5 minutes.
- Finally, add the salt and black pepper.
To make the toasties
- Heat a griddle pan or frying pan to a medium heat. Add some butter to the pan and melt.
- Layer the pesto on the base of the bread.
- Top with beans then vegan cheese.
- Place in the pan and allow to cook for 2–3 minutes until the base has browned a little.
- Carefully flip over so the uncooked side, so it’s now on the pan.
- Cook for a further 2–3 minutes until that side has browned.
- Remove from the pan and slice.