Wholesome and comforting dal, a gorgeous green colour from the spinach. A deliciously tasty and lightly spiced dish I think you’ll love.
Dals are so just so wholesome and comforting. I absolutely love them.
This recipe has evolved over the years and has been massively improved by making a fresh curry paste first.
The spinach is optional, but for me it adds a delicious earthy undertone. I would also recommend blitzing the spinach so that it mixes really well and turns the dal lovely and green.
I’m still working on perfecting tarka dhal (I just can’t replicate that authentic toasted flavour at home), I’ll post the recipe when I’ve done it!
This spinach dal is perfect as a main served with flatbreads and pickles or as a yummy side dish.
For the paste
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp corriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chili flakes
- 3 garlic cloves
- Inch of ginger
- 2 onions
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the dal
- 4 large tomatoes roughly chopped
- 5 cups organic red lentils
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Black pepper
- 1 bag of organic spinach
- Bunch fresh coriander including the stalks (for lots of flavour)
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp coconut milk or coconut yogurt
- Pop all the paste ingredients into the mini chopper and blitz until you get a smooth paste
- Cook paste on low heat for 3 minutes. Add a little water if it’s getting too dry.
- Add the tomatoes to the pan, soften the tomatoes for 5 minutes (again add a little water if it’s too dry).
- Add in the lentils and mix well to combine. Add 4 cups of water and bring to the boil.
- Reduce to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes.
- Blitz the spinach and coriander in the mini chopper or blender and add to the dal. Stir to combine, add more water if needed.
- Simmer for a further 20 minutes until the lentils are soft.
- Add in the coconut milk or coconut yogurt and the lemon
- Season and serve topped with more coriander.
COngrats! Look so nice! What do you serve it with? It looks like you have a clear sauce on the top! Thank you!
Thats. tahini drizzle!
Very happy you liked!
Much love, Niki xxx
The flavours in this dhal were amazing! I was confused when directions say blitz spinach and coriander as I’d put coriander in the paste as it was in the paste ingredients list
You were correct!
So tasty and a perfect combo with roasted pumpkin thank you xxx
So glad you like it Fay! Xx
This sounds and looks delicious Niki! Cant wait to try this!
Thanks Nic! Let me know what you think.. Xxx
I can’t wait to make this, it was delicious when you made it.