Spelt Pizza with Pesto & Roast Veg
Delicious pizza using with spelt flour, topped with gorgeous pesto and green roast veg. Easy to make and absolutely delicious.
In partnership with Doves Farm.
I’m super excited to be joining one of my all-time favourite brands, Doves Farm, in their ‘bake it organic’ in September campaign this year!
I’ve been using Doves Farm flours for at least 15 years now and they are my go-to flour brand because of their quality, range and ethos.
You probably already know I’m a firm supporter of organic and as flour is such a core ingredient for breads, bakes and more, it is a great place to start if you are thinking about choosing organic.
Here I’ve made a delicious pizza using Doves Farm’s wonderful Organic White Spelt Flour, which I love using for pizzas and flatbreads. It makes a perfect crispy, yet a little doughy, base, which I then covered in gorgeous pesto and green roast veg. I used spring onions, aubergine and courgette–but feel free you use your favourite or whatever is in season.
The pizza is a lovely green colour and my niece said it looks like a garden–which I think is a good thing!
Some other recipe inspiration using spelt flour;
Herby spinach lentil stew with spelt flatbreads
Potato, beetroot and caramelised onion spelt pizza
Spelt pesto bread roll ups
Established by Michael and Clare Marriage, Doves Farm Foods is an award-winning, British family-owned organic flour and food producer which is regarded as a pioneer in organic, ethical and sustainable farming and food production. Doves Farm Foods has been Soil Association certified since it was founded in 1978.
Doves Farm offers a range of leading organic premium flours, ancient grain flours and organic biscuits.
With 20 different flours in the range, Doves Farm not only offers organic flours that bring joy to traditional home baking, including plain white, plain wholemeal, bread flour and pasta flour, but has also led the way in introducing ancient grains back to the UK. Their ancient grain flour range includes distinct flours such as Einkorn, Emmer, Spelt, Rye and KAMUT® Khorasan which offer bakers the chance to discover flavours, crumb textures and baking traditions of our past. Doves Farm also offers organic biscuits and hampers as part of its organic range.
And have you seen Doves Farm’s gorgeous new packaging? I’m absolutely loving the new feel-good, colourful look, which celebrates the joy of home baking.
Spelt Pizza with Pesto & Roast Veg
For the dough
- 250 g Doves Farm Organic White Spelt Flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Doves Farm Quick Yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 175 ml lukewarm water
For the pesto
- 100 g pine nuts toasted
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 sea salt
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 cloves garlic
- 3 handfuls fresh basil
- 3 tbsp nutritional yeast
For the veg
- 3 spring onions
- 1 aubergine sliced
- 1 courgette sliced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
For the toppings
- Toasted seed mix
- 2 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 2 tbsp sesame seeds
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- Drizzle extra virgin olive oil
- Fresh herbs–thyme
To make the dough
- Add the dry ingredients to a large bowl–mix well.
- Mix in the olive oil with the lukewarm water.
- Bring together until you have a dough. Tip the dough onto a floured chopping board. Knead for a few minutes until the dough is springy.
- Add back to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth for about a hr.
- Transfer back onto the floured chopping board and knead again to knock back.
To make the veg
- Pre heat your oven to 180c
- Add the veg, along with the oil and salt to a baking tray and bake for 25-30 minutes or until soft and caramelising.
- Set aside.
To make the pesto
- Dry toast the pine nuts in a frying pan until lightly golden. Set aside.
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor or high-speed blender and blitz until everything is combined to the texture you prefer. You may need to scrape the sides down a few times.
To make the seeds
- Dry toast the seeds in a pan until lightly toasted. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the salt.
To make the pizza
- Heat the oven to 180C and lightly oil a large baking tray.
- Roll out the dough on a floured chopping board. Place on the baking tray.
- Top the pizza with the pesto, then bake for 15 minutes, until the crust is cooked and a little golden.
- Remove from the oven and then top with roast veg, toasted seeds and herbs.