Healthy Mince Pies (Gluten-Free)
Homemade mince pies are such a treat! These are vegan and gluten-free but not lacking in deliciousness. With spices, chia, flax, ground almonds, nuts, and fruit.
Fancy a mince pie??
For me, I don’t think many things say Christmas as much as a mince pie.
The gooey fruity filing, crispy pasty.. so good! Pretty yummy, but still packed with refined sugar.
My version does, of course, contain sugar as dried fruit, but that’s it and it’s packed with extra healthy goodies like spices, chia, flax, ground almonds, nuts and, of course, yummy fruit.
And the crispy case isn’t your usual pastry, I’ll have you know! Made from oat flour, buckwheat and ground almonds so gorgeous, nutty and naturally gluten-free.
I really hope you enjoy!
Much love, Niki xx
Healthy Mince Pies (Gluten-Free)
For the filling
- 75 g medjool dates pitted
- 125 g mixed fruit
- 50 g dried apricots
- 25 g cranberries
- 25 g crystalised ginger
- 25 g ground almonds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp flaxseeds
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom
- 1 tsp all spice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts
- Pinch sea salt
For the tart base
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 50 g ground almonds
- 50 g gluten-free oat flour
- 60 g buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp neutral oil
- 3 tbsp almond milk
To make the filling
- Place the dried fruits in a large bowl, cover with water and soak for a hr until soft.
- Squeeze the excess liquid out of the fruit then blitz in a food processor with the crystallised ginger until roughly mixed.
- Add the dry ingredients to a large mixing bowl, stir to combine. Then add the fruit mix and mix to combine thoroughly.
- Then add in the grated ginger and salt. Stir thoroughly to combine everything.
To make the pastry
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl–set aside to thicken.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the oil, almond milk and flax egg. Mix throughly to form a dough.
To make the mince pies
- Pre-heat oven Gas Mark 5/190c. Grease a bun tray (12 holes) with a little coconut oil.
- Reserve a 1/4 of the dough to make the star toppers.
- Roll out the larger ball of dough and cut into 8cm circular shapes with a cutter.
- Place the pastry rounds into the base of the bun tray. Press into the bottom. Prick each pastry base a few times.
- Add around a 1 tbsp of the filling into each base.
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut into small stars. Place on top of the pie filling and press done a little.
- Bake for 25 minutes then allow to cool a little before eating.
Ooh this looks amazing, I’m just missing buckwheat flour.. could I substitute for spelt or more oat or a combination?
Yes you can.
Love, Niki x
Yes you can xxx
Can your fruit mince pies be made ahead and frozen?
I’m afraid i havent tried freezing them so cant say for sure.
Much love, Niki xxx
Can I use plain flour instead of buckwheat flour?
Yes sure can! xx
yes for sure xxx
How long does the filing last for. I am thinking about making it in advance and then keeping it in a jar. Will it keep or does it need to be cooked immediately?
At least a week!
Love, Niki xx
A few weeks xx
Can I sub the flax for a real egg?
So sorry I haven’t tried. Love to hear if it works.
This looks great! I will prepare it for my children……..Thanks for sharing
So happy you like!
1 tsp? Seems tiny, did you mean 1 tbsp?
Yes I did, thanks so much for spotting!
What ingredient is this referring to as I’m planning on making them soon? Thank you.
Which ingredient Steve?
1bsp of what sorry? Xx
Do you mean 1 tbsp of the filling?
Elf said did you mean 1tbsp i was wondering what s/he meant
1tbsp of what sorry
Looks very tasty shall definitely try this one and also pass it on to two friends.
Im very happy to hear! Thank you Shirley xx
This recipe looks interesting, will also pass it on to a vegan friend who have just opened a vegan/vegetarian café.