Fresh Asian Salad with Peanut Tofu / Tempeh & Rice Noodles
A lovely light and fresh crunchy salad with delicious peanut marinated tofu and silky rice noodles. Top with toasted peanuts & cashews. Absolutely delicious!
All this crazy hot weather calls for something fresh and light. I don’t know about you, but I always start thinking about citrus flavors and, in particular, Asian salads with tons of crunchy raw veg, fresh herbs and zingy dressings.
I know that for some people it feels wrong eating salad in winter or gigantic bowls of comfort food in the summer
But if my body tells me I need raw food when it’s cold, I’ll do it. And I always want big pots of warming curries and soups.
That said–we’ve had such crazy amounts of sun this week that even for me, who thrives in warm weather, it’s taken its toll.
So I made this lovely light and fresh crunchy salad with delicious peanut marinated tofu and silky rice noodles. It totally hit the spot!
I made my delicious salad from crunchy carrots, cucumbers, spring onions and lots of fresh herbs. Then served with rice noodles, crispy marinated peanut tofu with toasted peanuts & cashews.
The combination of crunchy veg, gooey noodles and crispy nutty tofu or tempeh (the choice is yours) is seriously good.
Depending on how much time you have, you can give the tofu/tempeh a quick marinade–around 30 minutes or if you have more time, you can marinade overnight for extra flavour.
And of course you need the add some crunch, so I topped everything with handfuls of toasted peanuts & cashews.
Fresh Asian Salad with Peanut Tofu/Tempeh & Rice Noodles
- 1 block of organic firm Tofu or Natural Tempeh
For the marinade
- Juice 1 lime
- 1 tbsp peanut organic crunchy butter
- 1 tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 tbsp tamari
- 1 tsp rice wine vinegar
- 1 tbsp siracha
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp grated ginger
- 1/2 tsp coconut sugar
- 150 g cooked rice noodles
For the salad
- Two big handfuls of cabbage
- 1 carrot julienned
- 1/2 cucumber sliced with a peeler into strips
- 3 Spring onions sliced
- Handful coriander
- Handful mint
Fro the dressing
- Juice 1 lime
- 1/4 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 tsp tamari
- 1 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1/2 red chilli sliced
- Handful toasted peanuts & cashews
To make the marinade
- Add all the ingredients to a container and mix thoroughly.
To prepare the tofu/Tempeh
- Unwrap and cube the tofu or tempeh
- Add to the tub with the marinade and mix to coat. Cover and place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes. Overnight, ideally.
- Cook the rice noodles as per instructions (you can use dry or wok ready). Allow to cool.
To make the salad
- To make the salad, simply chop all the veg and add to a large bowl. Make the dressing by adding all the ingredients to a jar and stir or shake to combine. Add the dressing & rice noodles to the salad and toss to coat everything.
To cook the tofu/Tempeh
- Heat a frying pan to medium and add a tsp of coconut oil to the pan. Remove the marinated tofu/tempeh from the tub and add to the pan. Fry for a few minutes, turning carefully until warmed through and crispy on all sides.
- Divide the salad between two bowls and top with the tofu/tempeh, toasted nuts and more herbs.
This salad looks incredible! Ah, I love that this contains a delicious peanut sauce–it’s my favorite type of savory condiment besides chili sauce!
Thank you! So glad you approve. I’m with you there, peanut sauce is ????????.
Love & hugs, Niki xxx