Beetroot and Coconut Curry
Beetroot, coconut and spices are a match made in heaven. This curry is earthy yet sweet and creamy. Serve with rice and crunchy toasted nuts.
I was so excited to receive my Organic Unboxed box last week as part of a brilliant campaign to raise awareness of eating organic. I’m passionate about eating organic, so I jumped at the chance to take part in the challenge!
My box contained a vast variety of organic goodies; veggie staples such as onions, garlic, leeks and beetroots, organic spelt flour, brown rice, stock, olive oil, pasta, and even some amazing organic gin.
So the challenge; create a delicious meal out of the mystery goodies… I was totally up for the challenge!
I created a beetroot curry, which combines my love of curry and my love for beetroot. And the result is a gloriously red and delicious beetroot and coconut curry served with organic sesame rice and crunchy toasted nuts. It tasted heavenly…
And just a few reasons to eat organic (apart from the fact that it tastes great!);
Organic crops are exposed to fewer pesticides, organic farming is great for farmers and is more environmentally friendly.
Recent research has shown that organic crops are up to 60% higher in a number of key antioxidants.
Organic may sometimes cost a bit more, but the benefits make it totally worth it!
Love Niki x.
Beetroot and Coconut Curry
- 4 raw organic beetroot
- 2 tbsp organic olive oil
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 organic red onion chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp chilli flakes
- 3 cloves garlic grated
- 1 knob ginger grated
- 1 can organic reduced fat coconut milk
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1/2 tsp Himalayan salt
- Black pepper
- 2 big handfuls organic spinach
- 1 cup organic indica brown rice
- 1 tbsp. Sesame oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 handful of peanuts and cashews
- Cut the stalks off the beetroot and add to a pan of boiling water. Simmer for a hr and then let the beetroots cool. Remove the skins and slice into chunks.
- Heat the oil in a pan on a medium heat, then add in the cumin seeds and mustard seeds. Fry for a few minutes until they sizzle and pop.
- Add in the onion, turmeric, chilli flakes, garlic and ginger and turn down the heat. Fry for 10 minutes until the onion is soft.
- Add in the coconut milk, beetroot, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Turn up the heat to medium and simmer for 10 minutes, then add in the spinach. Stir to wilt.
- Toast the peanuts and cashews in a dry pan for 10 minutes until toasted.
- Cook at the rice as per instructions on the back of pack–approx 20 minutes. Add the sesame oil and cumin seeds to a small frying pan, then fry the cumin on a medium heat for a minute until fragrant. Add in the rice and stir to combine. Season well.
- Add the peanuts and cashews to a hot dry saucepan and dry roast them for a few minutes until toasted. Keep your eye on them as they burn easily. Take off the heat.
- Serve with curry with the rice, then top with coriander and toasted nuts.