The Best Vegan Soda Bread
Make your own delicious and super fast soda bread – you just need a few store cupboard ingredients to whip up a fresh loaf in minutes. So good.
Our cupboards may not be as packed with our usual groceries at the moment–but if you have some flour (any flour) you can make some delicious and super fast soda bread.
Honestly, one of my favourite recipes and the feeling and taste of fresh bread is one of life’s simple pleasures, I think. And it’s so incredibly easy to make–mix, shape and bake. That’s it!
Hopefully, you’ll have most of the ingredients but the most important are the flour, bicarbonate of soda and the vinegar–as the vinegar activates the bicarb and leavens the bread, giving the rise.
But don’t worry about anything else–you can use any flour or a mix of flours (not self raising), any vinegar, any herb and nut/seed mix and if you don’t have yogurt, you can use coconut cream.
I really hope you try out this recipe–it’s a joy to make. Sending love, Niki xxx.
Original recipe from my cookbook ‘Rebel Recipes’! Link to get your hands on a copy
The Best Vegan Soda Bread
- 350 g spelt/wholemeal/rye flour–or a mix I used 200g wholemeal & 150g spelt here
- 3 tsp caraway/fennel/cumin seeds
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp chopped nuts/seeds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 250 ml almond/oat milk
- 75 g plant-based yogurt–I used coconut
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- A few oats sprinkled on top
- Preheat your oven to 200c
- Mix all the dry ingredients together thoroughly in a large bowl. Add the almond milk and apple cider vinegar.
- vinegar and yogurt, stir to combine.
- Stir until you get a dough and then form into a ball. Place the ball on a floured baking tray and then cut a deep cross in the centre. Sprinkle a few oats on the top.
- Now place the bread in your preheated oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and allow to cool a little.
Hi. Can I make this without yoghurt?
Hi with the seeds is it that quantity for each of them or is this to use any of those seeds? Thanks
You can use which one!
Hi Niki can you use Greek yoghurt instead?
Yes of course, will work really well.
Can Apple cider vinegar be substituted for plain white vinegar?
Hi! Could I use Cashew milk instead of almond milk? If it is really necessary the almond milk then i’lo do it. Is just that I have cashew milk ready, thanks!
Absolutely, any plant based is great.
Hi Nicki , Can you make this gluten ?
I would try a mix of gluten free flours ie half gluten free and half buckwheat.
Much love, and good luck
Hi Nicki, I have made this several times and we have loved it every time. I made it gluten free and needed to adjust the milk quantity. It depends on the G.F flours used
Oh perfect, love to hear your adjustments.