Blood Orange & Choc Chip Pancakes (Gluten-Free)
The classic combination of orange and chocolate in fluffy pancake form. Topped with creamy coconut yogurt and caramelised nuts for a decadent brunch.
Well, I’ve got to say that these little blood orange and choc chip pancakes are pretty darn good!
Because pancakes are already good, right? But then, combined with beautiful zingy blood orange juice and little specs of cacao nibs running through them, it’s takes the pancake to a whole new level. And they are super light too, which means of course you can eat more!
I topped them with a big dollop of coconut yogurt and some caramelised nuts I had let over from some recipe developing for a client. Delicious.
I created these with lots of my favourite organic ingredients; Doves farm organic buckwheat flour (an absolute staple), organic cacao nibs and lovely seasonal blood oranges.
Once again, I’m thrilled to support The Soil Association and their #flipittoorganic campaign for pancake day.
I know I’ve talked about it before, but here’s some more about why organic is so good!
Organic food comes from trusted sources. When you see the organic symbol, what you buy has been produced to the highest animal welfare and environmental standards.
Organic always means:
The highest standards of animal welfare
No routine use of antibiotics
No artificial colours & preservatives
I hope you enjoy! Love Niki xx.
Blood Orange & Choc Chip Pancakes (Gluten Free)
- 100 g buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 100 ml blood orange juice
- 100 ml plant based milk
- 1 –2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp mixed spice
- 3 tbsp cacao nibs/choc cips
- Coconut yogurt
- Blood oranges slices
- Sesame seeds
- Caramelised nuts
- Maple syrup optional
- Preheat a pan with a little oil. The pan needs to be medium -hot.
- Add the buckwheat flour, baking powder, cacao nips/chips, vanilla essence, orange juice, maple syrup & plant based milk to a bowl and mix thoroughly to combine and form a thick batter.
- Spoon the mixture a ladle full at a time into the pan and fry for 1-2 minutes until the underside is firm. Carefully flip the pancakes and then cook for another minute until the pancakes are cooked through and slightly golden.
- Top with coconut yogurt, blood oranges, caramelised nuts/sesame seeds and maple syrup.