Raspberry Bakewell Tart (Gluten Free)
My vegan version of Bakewell Tart – with a nutty base, the most gorgeous gooey almond filing, fresh tart raspberries and a layer of raspberry jam. So good!
La De Da! Well, have I got a delicious recipe for you?
A nutty base, the most gorgeous gooey almond filing, fresh tart raspberries and a layer of raspberry jam.
Oh, my goodness, it’s good.
What memories does this recipe conjure up for me? Little Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts, which I used to wolf down given the chance when I was little. I’m not sure they were very healthy but i remember and love their almondy deliciousness.
In fact, I’m sure they started my love for frangipane and all almond based desserts–no bad thing I think 😉
My version is just as rich and almondy but happily it’s homemade with natural whole ingredients and refined sugar free. I tested this recipe out on lots of my friends (willing victims)–a very big thumbs up all round!
I hope you enjoy xx
Vegan Raspberry Bakewell Tart (Gluten Free)
For the tart base
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 cups ground almonds–or whole almonds ground in a mini chopper/blender or grinder
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour–or flour of choice; wholemeal buckwheat, white
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral oil–I used rapeseed
- 3 tbsp almond milk
For the filling
- 2 flax eggs–2 tbsp ground flax–6 tbsp water mix in a bowl and leave for a few minutes
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Zest 1/2 lemon
To make the tart
- 1 –2 tbsp raspberry jam of choice
- 1 cup raspberries
- Handful flaked almonds
To make the filling
- Make up the flax eggs and allow to stand for a few minutes
- Cream together the butter, sugar and almond essence. Stir in the flax eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix ground almonds, buckwheat and baking powder. Transfer the butter mix to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine thoroughly. Mix in the lemon zest.
To make the tart
- Firstly, make the almond meal by adding the nuts to a mini chopper or blender and blitzing until you get a fine meal. Or use pre ground almonds.
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl–set aside to thicken.
- Grease a round, loose bottom pie pan with oil.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the oil, almond milk and flax egg. Mix throughly to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough to the pie pan and use your fingers to press into the bottom and up the sides. Poke a few holes with a fork across the bottom.
- Bake tart for 10 minutes on Gas Mark 4/180c. Remove from the oven. Allow the tart base to cool a little.
- Layer the jam across the bottom of the tart, then add in the frangipane filling. Top with raspberries and press in a little.
- Sprinkle a few flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40-55 minutes or until your filling puffed up and is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and before removing the tart pan.
- Delicious served warm with vegan Icecream or cold with a cup of tea.
Would you recommend using coconut oil for the tart base, and also thawed frozen raspberries for the filling? Thanks!
I think that coconut oil should be ok for the base but I wouldn’t recommend using thawed frozen raspberries as I fear there would be too much moisture.
Can I use only buckwheat flour for the crust, or I have to mix it with the oat flour?
You can definitely use just buckwheat flour – just as delicious!
Hi! Can I use eggs instead of flaxseeds? Will the result be the same? Is the cake dry or moist? Thanks!
Yes you absolutely can. Either work well.
Finally I’ve found a vegan Bakewell tart recipe! Are these in Australian or American cups measurement?
It’s the US size cup xxx
What size pie pan did you use please.?
Can’t wait to try this !!!!
I used an 8 inch loose bottom.
Let me know how you get on xxx
This recipe looks amazing!
Do you think I could make it with strawberries (I have a huge basket full right now and want to make a cake with them) or would the texture get weird? Maybe if I add them on top after baking the filling?
Also how big is your pie pan?
I think that strawberries would be lovely, I’d just chop them up a little.
Do you line the pan with parchment paper?
You definitely can, I just geased with a little coconut oil.
I’d really love to try this!
Please explain what flax eggs are?
I’ll of course exchange sea salt for desert salt
Flax eggs are a vegan egg substitute. They act as a binding agent.
Let me know how you get on!
Love, Niki xx
Looks delicious! What can I submitted the vegan butter with?
Thank you x
You can use margarine or butter
Can you use coconut oil instead of the vegan butter?
I’m afraid I haven’t tried with coconut oil.
Please let me know if you try.
Hi, any substitutes for the 1/2 c of buckwheat flour. Thanks.
Yes absolutely, you can use any flour of your choice.
I just like buckwheat for its nutty flavour and that it’s naturally gluten free.
Keep me posted.
Love, Niki xx