Raspberry Bakewell Tart (Gluten Free)
My vegan version of Bakewell Tart – with a nutty base, the most gorgeous gooey almond filing, fresh tart raspberries and a layer of raspberry jam. So good!
La De Da! Well, have I got a delicious recipe for you?
A nutty base, the most gorgeous gooey almond filing, fresh tart raspberries and a layer of raspberry jam.
Oh, my goodness, it’s good.
What memories does this recipe conjure up for me? Little Mr Kipling Bakewell tarts, which I used to wolf down given the chance when I was little. I’m not sure they were very healthy but i remember and love their almondy deliciousness.
In fact, I’m sure they started my love for frangipane and all almond based desserts–no bad thing I think 😉
My version is just as rich and almondy but happily it’s homemade with natural whole ingredients and refined sugar free. I tested this recipe out on lots of my friends (willing victims)–a very big thumbs up all round!
I hope you enjoy xx
Vegan Raspberry Bakewell Tart (Gluten Free)
For the tart base
- 2 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp filtered water
- 1/2 cups ground almonds–or whole almonds ground in a mini chopper/blender or grinder
- 1 cup gluten-free oat flour–or flour of choice; wholemeal buckwheat, white
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp coconut sugar
- 1 1/2 tbsp neutral oil–I used rapeseed
- 3 tbsp almond milk
For the filling
- 2 flax eggs–2 tbsp ground flax–6 tbsp water mix in a bowl and leave for a few minutes
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup dairy free butter
- 2 tsp almond extract
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 2 tbsp buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- Zest 1/2 lemon
To make the tart
- 1 –2 tbsp raspberry jam of choice
- 1 cup raspberries
- Handful flaked almonds
To make the filling
- Make up the flax eggs and allow to stand for a few minutes
- Cream together the butter, sugar and almond essence. Stir in the flax eggs.
- In a large bowl, mix ground almonds, buckwheat and baking powder. Transfer the butter mix to the dry ingredients. Mix to combine thoroughly. Mix in the lemon zest.
To make the tart
- Firstly, make the almond meal by adding the nuts to a mini chopper or blender and blitzing until you get a fine meal. Or use pre ground almonds.
- Make the flax egg by mixing the ground flax and water in a bowl–set aside to thicken.
- Grease a round, loose bottom pie pan with oil.
- Add all the dry ingredients to a large bowl and mix to combine. Then add in the oil, almond milk and flax egg. Mix throughly to form a dough.
- Transfer the dough to the pie pan and use your fingers to press into the bottom and up the sides. Poke a few holes with a fork across the bottom.
- Bake tart for 10 minutes on Gas Mark 4/180c. Remove from the oven. Allow the tart base to cool a little.
- Layer the jam across the bottom of the tart, then add in the frangipane filling. Top with raspberries and press in a little.
- Sprinkle a few flaked almonds.
- Bake for 40-55 minutes or until your filling puffed up and is set. Remove from the oven and allow to cool and before removing the tart pan.
- Delicious served warm with vegan Icecream or cold with a cup of tea.