The Best Lentil Bolognese with Roast Veg Mash and Cashew Parmesan
This lentil bolognese is AMAZING. Super tasty and packed with so much flavour. Served with vegetable mash and cashew parmesan for extra tastiness!
Oh, this is a good one! A rich and earthy lentil bolognese with two types of lentils (red and Puy) for added texture, lots of mushrooms and tons of Unami flavour from the balsamic, Worcester and tamari.
It packs a flavour punch and is super nourishing. It’s brilliant with pasta but here I’ve served it with a lovely roast veg mash.
I roasted cauliflower, carrots and parsnips and then created a chunky mash blended with wholegrain mustard and nutritional yeast and coconut yogurt. So good!
Top with some cashew ‘Parmesan’ and it’s a special combination.
I hope you love this warming and comforting meal. Much love, Niki xxx.
The best Lentil Bolognese with Roast Veg Mash and Cashew Parmesan
For the roast veg mash
- 1/2 large cauliflower chopped into florets
- 2 medium parsnips peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped into small chunks
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch sea salt
- Black pepper
- 2 tbsp coconut yogurt or plant-based yogurt
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- Zest 1/2 lemon
- Black pepper
- 3 tbsp almond milk
For the bolognese
- 1 large onion chopped roughly
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cloves garlic sliced
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 caraway
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 4 organic tomatoes coarsely chopped
- 250 g mushrooms chopped
- 1/2 courgette finely diced
- 150 g dark green/puy lentils rinsed
- 150 g red lentils rinsed
- 1.5 L water
- 1 tbsp bouillon stock
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tbsp balsamic glaze
- 1 tbsp vegan Worcester sauce
- 1 tsp tamari
- Zest 1/2 unwaxed lemon
- Twist black pepper
- 1/2 tsp mineral salt–optional
For the toppings
- Cashew parmesan
- Fresh basil
To make the veg mash
- Heat your oven to 180c
- Add the veg to one large or two baking trays. Toss with olive oil and season well. Bake the veg 35-40 minutes until cooked.
- Allow to cool a little, then add to a large bowl. Mash the veg roughly with a fork or masher, then add along with the other ingredients to a food processor. Blitz to a chunky mash.
- Set aside.
To make the lentils
- Add the oil to a large pan and heat to a low to medium heat. Add the onion and for approx 8-10 minutes until soft and browning. Add in the garlic and spices and stir for another few minutes, then add in the tomatoes, lentils, mushrooms, courgette, water, tomato puree and bouillon.
- Bring to the boil and then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Add a little more water if needed.
- Stir in all the remaining ingredients. Season.
How do u cook such AMAZING recipes!!!?? Thank you!! ❤️
Thank you xxx
This looks delicious but not sure when to add the oregano, caraway, fennel seeds and paprika. Does anyone know?
With the garlic, I’ve added in.
Looks delicious and I have promised my son I will make it for him, however the topping ingredients do not seem to be showing on my phone……
Should be fixed now.
Big thumbs up from our family! Delicious
Fantastic! So happy