Niki’s Christmas Nuts
The perfect homemade edible Christmas gifts – spiced nuts! Mixed nuts with maple syrup and sweet spices; cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, clove powder and salt.
I think homemade edible Christmas gifts are one of the most lovely things that you can give someone. Especially when they are tasty, like my lovely Christmas spiced nuts.
I’ve been making my ‘Niki’s Christmas nuts’ for quite a few years now–way before I started my blog, so I thought it was about time I shared my recipe. The recipe has developed over time as my original version had more maple syrup (which, or course, you are welcome to add for an extra indulgent treat) but I think these hit the spot between sweet and savoury without being too sweet.
You can add whatever sweet spices you have to hand, but I chose my favourites; cinnamon, vanilla, allspice, nutmeg, a touch of clove powder and a dash of salt for balance. Very more-ish so be warned!
As I’ve been away in India for so long, I’m completely behind with my Christmas shopping, so I’m literally going to do it on Saturday before seeing my family on Sunday! So I’m really glad I made these delicious treats for my friends at least.
I made this batch enough for 5 medium jars, but they are so fast to make you can easily whip up another batch if you would like more.
Oh, and by the way, I’ve added in ‘Christmas’ to the name as my original name was ‘Niki’s Nuts’, much to the amusement of my friends! No more to say on that one!
I really hope you enjoy these as much as I do. Love Niki xxx
Niki’s Christmas Nuts
- 5 cups mixed nuts I used cashews, pecans, walnuts, almonds, brazils
- 4 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- 1 tsp all spice
- Pinch sea salt
- Add the nuts to a large frying pan and toast on a medium heat for a few minutes (stirring frequently) so that they go a little brown.
- Turn off the heat and then add the maple syrup and spices to the pan, toss to coat the nuts thoroughly.
- Finally add the salt, stir again and allow to cool.
- When the nuts are cool, scoop them into jars with an air-tight lid.