Griddled Harissa Mushrooms on Fluffy Flatbread with Smoky Butter bean Hummus and Mint Dip
This stunning dish is incredibly tasty – the juicy harissa mushrooms burst with flavour. Served on a bed of fluffy flatbreads and super creamy hummus. Yum!
The sun is shining and BBQ/grilling is in the air. I love a good cauliflower steak or crispy tofu skewer–but I think a gorgeous juicy mushroom is hard to beat.
So I give you–BBQ Harissa Mushrooms on fluffy flatbread with smoky butterbean hummus and mint dip. The mushrooms have been marinated in Harissa, which adds tons of flavour, then either griddled or cooked on the BBQ–seriously tasty.
They are brilliant in a burger but I love them with a fluffy flatbread, some dolloped smokey butter bean hummus and then topped with super fresh mint cucumber dip. The combination of textures and flavours is fantastic.
It’s good to marinade the mushrooms for at least an hour, but don’t panic if you don’t have time.
Flatbread- swap for burger buns for a delicious mushroom burger option
Or use buckwheat for a gluten-free version or my amazing mushroom flatbreads
Butterbeans–swap for chickpeas or frozen peas
Other dip options; pea & mint, red pepper, baba ganoush
They are a meal in themselves, but heres some lovely additions for a summer feast;
Roast Rainbow Carrots & Beetroots with Beetroot Walnut Hummus & Gomashio
Griddled Courgette, Crispy Roast Potatoes, Fennel and Pea Pesto Salad
Roast Cauliflower, Courgette, Wild Garlic Pesto and Butter Bean Salad
Griddled Harissa Mushrooms on Fluffy Flatbread with Smoky Butter Bean Hummus and Mint Dip
For the mushrooms
- 4 portobello mushrooms cleaned
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp rose harissa
- 1/2 tsp maple syrup
For the cucumber mint dip
- 1/2 cucumber grated
- 120 g coconut yogurt or plant-based yogurt
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 clove garlic minced–optional
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil–optional
For the butter bean hummus
- 1 can butter beans drained
- 1 clove garlic–optional
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 sea salt
- 1 tbsp tahini
For the flatbread
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Pinch sea salt flakes
- 75 ml water
- 2 tablespoon plant based yogurt
Optional additional toppings
- Fresh herbs–coriander mint
- Toasted pine nuts
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Chilli flakes
To marinate the mushrooms
- Add the marinade ingredients to a large bowl/tub and mix well.
- Add the mushrooms to the bowl with the marinade, carefully cover the mushrooms.
- Cover and let it marinate for at least a hr.
To make the cucumber dip
- Grate the cucumber and pop it into a large seize to drain over a bowl. Squeeze out as much moisture as possible then transfer to a large bowl.
- Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
- Really nice, with a drizzle of olive oil on top.
To make the dip
- Add the butter beans into the blender with the garlic, lemon juice, tahini, spices and olive oil.
- Blitz until smooth (approx 2 minutes), add a little water to loosen.
- Season to taste and blitz again.
To make the flatbread
- In a large bowl, add the flour and salt. Stir to combine.
- Now add the water and yogurt, mix thoroughly to combine, and then transfer to a floured board. If you need to add a bit more water or flour, then do so.
- Knead for a few minutes until you get a springy dough.
- Heat a large griddle pan or frying pan to medium.
- Divide the dough into four, then roll out the first flatbread.
- Pop it on the griddle pan and allow to cook and char a little on that side, then flip to cook to on the other side.
- Keep the flatbreads warm on a plate covered with a clean cloth.
To cook the mushrooms
- On a griddle/BBQ
- Pre- heat your griddle pan/BBQ to medium/hot. Add the mushrooms along with any marinade into the griddle pan. Just add the mushrooms (no additional marinade) to the BBQ.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes, then flip and cook for a further 4-5 minutes. Flip a few times until tender.
- Top the flatbreads with the hummus, mushrooms and then dollop on the mint dip.
- Add additional toppings.
Could the flat bread be made Gluten Free and how would the recipe change? Thank you!
Why not try with my buckwheat spinach crepes (naturally gluten free)
Love, Niki xxx
Absolutely loved this recipe. The flavours are beautiful together. Thank you
Thank you xx
You don’t ship to Australia?
Lemon in hummus dip – yes or no?
Not in ingredient list but says you add it (how much?) in the instructions.
Its 1/2 lemon, sorry – added in now
You’re a genius Niki!! I made this tonight and it was utterly gorgeous and I totally forgot to take a photo as we scoffed it so quickly
So happy to hear – Yay!
Is the Rose Harissa powder or paste?
This looks stunning Niki x
Thank you so much Kathryn!
WOW! This looks sooooo delicious. One question: under ‘To cook the mushrooms’, #2, what does ‘Just the mushrooms to the BBQ’ mean? Thanks!
Ive amended – basically – just add the mushrooms with no additional marinade to the BBQ