Creamy Butter Bean Hummus, Rocket Pesto with Roast Seasonal Veg ~ Two ways
Butter beans make the creamiest hummus! Absolutely delicious with one of my favourite pestos to swirl in – a combination of rocket, walnuts and toasted pine nuts.
As you probably know I absolutely love hummus and there’s never a time that I don’t have at least two varieties in my fridge. Usually made with chickpeas but I also love using other pulses and especially butter beans as a delicious and even creamier alternative.
I think that dips are made even better by layering in additional textures and flavours so I made one of my favourite pestos to swirl in – a combination of rocket, walnuts and toasted pine nuts. It’s rich and intense and when stirred into the creamy butter bean hummus, absolutely delicious!
I actually made two tasty lunches out of the same core ingredients. Firstly hummus and pesto topped with roast seasonal veg and secondly a delicious quick flatbread pizza using my basic dough which I already had in the fridge.
I’ve added my basic dough recipe below which I use to make steam buns and Pizza. But if you want a gluten free flatbread my faithful buckwheat flatbreads are perfectly delicious spread with the hummus, pesto and topped with roast veg.
Much love and enjoy! Niki xx
Creamy Butter Bean Hummus, Rocket Pesto with Roast Seasonal Veg – Two ways
For the butter bean hummus
- 1 can organic butter beans in water – drained
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 2 cloves garlic
- Splash olive oil
- 1/2 sea salt
- 2 tbsp tahini
For the rocket pesto
- 1/2 cup walnuts
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- 2 handfuls Rocket
- Juice 1/2 lemon
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp olive oil optional
For the roast veg
- This is what I had in the fridge – feel free to use your favourites!
- 1 large potato washed and chopped irregularly
- 2 carrots washed and chopped
- 1/2 aubergine sliced
- Handful radishes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- Twist black pepper
For the dough
- 400 g organic strong white flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp quick yeast
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 325 ml luke warm water
- Mix together – leave for a few minutes
To make the hummus
- Add the butter beans into the your blender with the garlic, lemon juice, tahini and olive oil
- Blitz until smooth and creamy (aprox 2 minutes), add a little water to loosen.
- Season to taste and blitz again.
To make the pesto
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor or high speed blender and blitz until everything is combined to the texture you prefer. You may need to scrape the sides down a few times.
To roast the veg
- Add all the veg to a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil, salt & pepper. Coat well.
- Roast on a medium heat for 30-45 minutes depending on what veg you have used.
To make the dough
- Add the flour and salt to a large bowl – mix well.
- Mix the yeast, sugar, olive oil with the luke warm water and leave for a minute or so.
- Create a hole in the middle of the flour and gradually add the liquid until you have a dough. Tip the dough onto a floured chopping board. Knead for a few minutes until the dough is springy.
- Transfer back to the bowl and cover with a damp cloth for about an hr. The dough should have doubled in size.
- Transfer back onto the floured chopping board and knead again to knock back.
- At this stage you can use the dough to make pizzas or flatbreads or store in the fridge wrapped tightly in cling film for a few days
To make the flatbread
- Break off a palm size piece of the dough. On a floured chopping board roll out to desired shape (round or long and thin like mine).
- Pre heat a non stick frying pan or griddle pan to medium then transfer the dough. Cook for a few minutes until the dough is starting to puff up and brown a little. Flip and cook on the other side.
- Top with creamy hummus, pesto and toppings of choice (I added pickles and peashoots – delicious).